Sunday 2 March 2014

Cuppa, Cake & Cracking view? NOPE just crap customer service!

If you've read my blog before you'll know that I'm quite a cheery and positive person but this blog is a little on the negative side.  So apologies for not being my usual self (and the fact this is a little dated as I've been a busy gal)

So, the story begins with being offered the chance to stay at the lovely Manorbier Bed & Breakfast just outside of Tenby on Valentines weekend (which I will point out at this stage is not the negativeness that I refer to... I'll be doing a separate blog for that one as it thoroughly deserves it - top notch)

Back to the story...left Swansea on the afternoon of Saturday 15th Feb (day after Valentines Day so still feeling a bit on the romantic side!!!) and headed down to Pembrokeshire...
...which seems to be my second home at the moment in what seemed to be good weather.  Being as we left a little later than we would have liked, there wasn't much time to do a tremendous amount, so as per usual hunted out somewhere to have cake!!!  The one place that was on my mind was St. Brides Hotel & Spa in Saundersfoot - a place I often see on Facebook and promoting its afternoon teas and lovely views.  Therefore thought it would be a great opportunity to grab a relaxing cuppa, cake and a cracking view.  

When we finally managed to get a parking space at the hotel we made our way to the entrance.  Great welcome from the reception staff advising that we head to the end of the bar where someone would seat us.  It was quite busy, which is understandable due to the weather not being it's usual wet self.  The party of 3 before us were being dealt with and what looked like being seated in the bar area... then it was my turn.  I was really taken back by the response to 'Table for two?' - I was given a plain and simple 'No' by the young gentleman.  No apology, no attempt to see if I could be helped, no explanation as to being so busy and if there was a waiting time, not even a glance to see if there was any spare seating?  I was so shocked by the response that I felt the need to re-ask the question to which I was told 'We're full'.  

Part of me felt like I'd just been turned away at one of the those posh expensive designer shops in London that didn't want my custom.  I felt embarrassed by the situation especially when we made our way to the exit that there was a sofa that was tucked away just off the reception area... I wouldn't have minded sitting here with a view to perhaps waiting for a better seat to come available but after my experience I really didn't want to be embarrassed again.  

To say that I was fuming was an understatement as I'd really built this place up in my head and would like to have someday returned to use their spa facilities... doubt that I will now.

BETTER SERVICE AHEAD...

ANYWAY... still wanting cake,we headed down to the little seaside town of Saundersfoot - a place which has a special place in my heart as my Grandparents used to take me there when I was little!  


We headed to Shoreline -  a coffee shop on the main stretch of shops that I'd been before so I knew that not only do they do a good cuppa and cake, but they are licensed AND they serve Peroni on tap - my other half was pleased with the surprise!  I opted for a nice cuppa tea and slice of victoria sponge.  Unfortunately we weren't able to get a window seat, but nonetheless we had a great view of the beach and crashing waves - it wasn't quite mild enough to brave the outdoor seating on the balcony!  Found this place really relaxing, especially as a few Michael Buble songs came on the radio too.  Staff were really pleasant and friendly too.  It'll most certainly be somewhere we go on our return to Saundersfoot and would recommend to others. 

 

Before making our way over to Manorbier we popped into a few of the shops - some lovely little shops with a great range of products & gifts.  Didn't end up buying anything but it's not to say I didn't want to!!


Watch this space for my proper review of my trip to Manorbier Pembrokeshire!  

1 comment:

  1. What a shame Nat for you both as it is a really lovely tea there but poor service is not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete