Sunday 12 May 2013

I'm a tourist on my own doorstep! #VisitWales #VisitMumbles

Looking over to Mumbles
from Blackpill
2013 has been a busy year and lacking on the travels unfortunately!  HOWEVER, when I sat back and thought about it, it dawned on me that I regularly switch to 'tourist' mode armed with my camera and shopping bag tovisit the beautiful village of Mumbles, just 6 miles from where I live.  I'm so lucky to have this on my doorstep!

It got me thinking, many welsh businesses focus on bringing in tourists to the country from across the water to boost the local economy, but there are tourists just a few miles down the road on their doorstep.  One area I think that does really well at bringing in visitors to the area has to be Mumbles.  And here is why...

Every month a group of 30+ local food & drink producers put on a market on a Saturday morning and just up the road are 2 craft fayres stocking locally handmade products in addition to the great row of shops AND of course, the world famous Joes Ice Cream!  

These events attract visitors from all over South Wales and those who are holidaying in Swansea to pick up yummy local produce and local handmade gifts, something you wouldn't find in the local supermarkets or High Street shops.  Everything from sausages, real ale, preserves and my favourite Coco Bean Chocolate brownies!

So, if you live in Swansea or are planning on visiting Swansea try to tie it in with these great craft fayres and food produce market (every month on the 2nd Saturday).  Regardless of the weather, Mumbles is a beautiful place with views of Swansea Bay and looking over to Aberavon beach.   Even though it was somewhat windy and a bit of the wet side yesterday, the streets of Mumbles were still bustling with visitors!  A lesson to be learned by towns and cities across the country!

Here's some of my recommendations when visiting Mumbles:

Mumbles Food Produce Market Every second Saturday
Funky Craft Fayre at Ostreme Centre
Craft Fayres in Wales (Including the Nimble Fingers) at Victoria Hall
Oystermouth Castle regularly have events
Joes Ice Cream (Even if it's raining, everyday is a good day for a Joes)
Cafe Valance for a cuppa & bite to eat (they even do rooms if you're planning on staying!)
Gower Coast Adventures if you fancy a trip around Gower via sea (haven't tried this yet!)

Let me know if you've got a favourite place you like to visit when you go to Mumbles! I might just have to pay them a visit too!  Any excuse to take a trip to Mumbles!!

And just some of the pics I've taken over the years:

My favourite view looking over to Mumbles head
One of the crafters at the Funky Craft Fayre.  The cutest bears & jumpers!
View from Mumbles overlooking Swansea Bay
Oystermouth Castle on a lovely sunny day
View from Oystermouth Castle, overlooking Mumbles


The best Chocolate brownies in Wales at the Mumbles Farmers Market!
And finally, one of the most popular reasons for visiting Mumbles!

No comments:

Post a Comment